James Jeffrey Burns
Jeff Burns is a partner at Johnson, Cassidy, Newlon, & DeCort, P.A. His business and commercial litigation practice includes matters involving trade secrets, noncompete and other restrictive covenants, employment agreements, contract disputes, consumer claims, commercial leases, general business disputes, and other civil matters. He has represented clients in federal, bankruptcy, and state court. In addition to his private practice experience, Jeff served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable James D. Whittemore of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Jeff graduated magna cum laude from the Florida State University College of Law in May 2014, where he served as Executive Article Editor of the Law Review and received the Outstanding Editor of the Year award. However, he received his undergraduate degree from the University of Florida, and still bleeds orange and blue! While in Tallahassee, Jeff worked at the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation for two years. Jeff was also a Certified Legal Intern at the Tallahassee State Attorney’s Office, where he gained valuable trial and litigation experience.
Born and raised in Florida, Jeff lives in South Tampa with his wife, dog, and two cats.
- Florida State University
J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- University of Florida
B.A. Criminology, 2011
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida
- Tampa Connection, Alumni Committee Executive Board
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, Judicial Law Clerk (2017-18)
- Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Law Clerk (2012-14)