Katherine C. "Kacy" Donlon
Kacy Donlon is a partner at Johnson, Cassidy, Newlon & DeCort, P.A. She has practiced in the area of commercial and securities litigation for over 25 years. Her practice is based on the principles instilled in her during her clerkship with a federal judge in Alabama – work hard for your client, be honest, and look for creative ways to win or resolve cases. Kacy’s main concentration is the defense of businesses and individuals involved in the securities and financial services industries, and she also has experience in a broad spectrum of commercial litigation matters, including receiverships, employment disputes, business torts, and contract disputes. Kacy has handled complex matters in federal and state court as well as in arbitration, including the successful defense of numerous matters involving allegations relating to the sale of variable and equity-indexed annuities and other insurance product sales practices.
Kacy’s experience includes the representation of national and regional brokerage and insurance firms in arbitration and court proceedings brought by customers involving variable products, mutual funds, REITs, BDCs, TICs, equity securities, oil and gas partnerships, and other investment products. In addition to litigation, Kacy has represented many clients in investigations and enforcement actions by regulatory bodies such as the SEC, FINRA, CFP, and state securities and insurance regulators. She also counsels clients on compliance issues.
Kacy is originally from Alabama where she clerked for District Court Judge Seybourn Lynne in Birmingham before starting her legal practice in Tampa. She is the immediate past President of the Florida Securities Dealers Association and the incoming Chair for the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar. She is a past president of the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association who in 2010 awarded her its highest award, the George C. Carr award, for excellence in federal practice and service to the Federal Bar.
Admitted in both Florida and Alabama, Kacy is AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America and a Super Lawyer.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1994 (Securities Editor, Law Review)
- University of St. Andrews, Scotland (Attended on Rotary International Scholarship), 1989-1990
- Birmingham-Southern College, B.A., summa cum laude, , 1989 (Phi Beta Kappa, Mortar Board, Omicron Delta Kappa)
- The Florida Bar
- Alabama State Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida
- Florida Securities Dealers Association President (2020); Vice-President (2019); Treasurer (2018); Secretary (2017); Board Member (2013-present)
- The Business Law Section of The Florida Bar Chair-Elect (2020-2021); Treasurer (2019-2020); Secretary (2018-2019); Chair, Legislation Committee (2017-2018); Chair, Communications Committee (2014-2015); Chair, State/Federal Judicial Liaison Committee (2006-2007); Chair, Business Litigation Committee (2005-2006); Executive Council (2004-present)
- Federal Bar Association President, Tampa Bay Chapter (2006-2007); Executive Board (2000-2008)
- Florida Bar Special Committee on Chapter 517 (2005-2007)
- Florida Supreme Court: Committee on Standard Jury Instruction-Contract and Business Cases Member (2006-2008)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association Member, Compliance and Legal Division
- American Bar Association Securities Litigation Committee; Section of Litigation
Southeastern Women in Financial Services
- Birmingham-Southern College National Alumni Association Vice-President, Service and Outreach (2007-2009)
- Leadership Tampa Class of 2004
- Bayshore Christian School Athletic Boosters
- Fowler White Boggs Banker (1995-2009)
- Wiand Guerra King (2009-2021)