Steve is Of Counsel at Johnson, Cassidy, Newlon, & DeCort, P.A. His practice involves commercial litigation with an emphasis on eminent domain, inverse condemnation, and other transportation related matters. He has tried jury and bench trials in all Florida state courts. He has also handled matters before administrative law judges including access issues, outdoor advertising permits, relocation benefits, and bid protests. His twenty-five plus years of eminent domain and administrative law experience include working for government as well as representing private property owners against government.
Steve is a Florida Supreme Court certified circuit civil mediator. He has published and presented on mediation issues and served as co-chair of the Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Mediation and Arbitration Committee. Steve is also the former chair of The Florida Bar’s Eminent Domain Committee and former co-chair of the Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Eminent Domain Committee. He has published numerous articles on the subject and presented frequently to groups including the Florida Conference of Circuit Judges, the Paralegal Association of Florida, and local and state bar associations.
Steve is active in the community and currently serves on the Board of Volunteers of America of Florida, Inc., an organization devoted to providing assistance to homeless veterans and other persons in need. He has been rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, a peer rating which demonstrates the highest level of professional excellence in the legal field.
- University of Florida
- University of Florida
- Florida State University
B.A., English, cum laude, 1975
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- The Florida Bar Chair, Eminent Domain; Committee (2005-2006); Government Lawyer Section (1992-1996)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Co-Chair, Eminent Domain Committee (2005-2007); Co-Chair, Mediation & Arbitration Committee (2012-2013)
- Florida Academy of Professional Mediators
Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association (1981-1985)
- Tallahassee Bar Association(1985-1993)
- National Organization of Bar Counsel (1985-1989)
- Sole Practitioner (1980-1985)
- The Florida Bar, Lawyer Regulation Department (1985-1989)
- State of Florida, Department of Transportation (1989-1996)
- Trenam Kemker (1996-2014)